Aug 3 2017

Hit and Run Accident: Injuries, Claims and Criminal Charges #hit #and #run #accident,hit #and #run #insurance #claim,hit #and #run #injury,hit #and #run #crime,find #lawyers,attorneys,law #firms,legal #news,articles,law #resources,legal #directory


Hit and Run Accident Cases

Generally, any person involved in an accident is required to stop, provide information and render aid, if necessary. Failure to stop after an accident is labeled as “hit and run” and can have serious consequences ranging from fines to prison time.

Click here for a free evaluation of your case.

In most states, hit and run is a very serious charge. A first-time offender whose hit and run accident caused damage to another vehicle will be convicted of the crime and usually be required to pay the victim for damages done to the car, either through his insurance company or in fines assessed by the authorities. In certain states where insurance points are assessed, a high number of points will be tacked on for hit and run accidents. In New Jersey, for example, a hit and run violation results in eight points on a driver’s license.

When the hit and run involves injuries to another person, the punishment is more severe. In this case, a driver might face fines, DMV points and the revocation of his/her driver’s license and/or insurance policy.

When the hit and run caused a person to die, the accident is considered a felony by law. The investigating police officers will ask the owner of the vehicle to give a statement and turn in the car for further investigations. At that point, it is best to consult a lawyer before releasing any information to the police.

If you have been involved in a hit and run accident, an experienced lawyer will be able to assist with what steps to follow. At the same time, the attorney might be able to reduce the penalties by assessing the nature of the accident, the extent of the damage done and your cooperation with the law enforcement during the investigation.

You can claim a hit and run under your insurance coverage.

Dealing with car accidents is always irritating, especially if the person who caused your injury and/or property damage on your vehicle either doesn’t have insurance or was a hit and run driver. Fortunately, you are still able to claim damages under the uninsured motorist coverage with your own insurance company. Make sure, however, that you contact the police immediately after the accident in order to provide your insurance company with the report that stated that it was a hit and run accident

Written by CREDIT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *